Hounds in Verse FAQs
How does the order process work?
The creation of your bespoke Hounds in Verse poetic dog portrait follows the steps below:
- Place your order in the online shop. Full payment is taken at this time. You will need to choose whether you would like a framed or unframed portrait. Please note that due to postage costs and the risk of breakage I can only send framed portraits to UK addresses.
- I will email you a questionnaire within 1-2 days.
- Fill in the answers to the questionnaire and return it as soon as you can, so I can get started on the poem. I will also need a clear high resolution photo of your dog’s head for the illustration.
- Within 7-14 days after receiving your answers I will send you the poem and an illustration of your dog.
- You can then give me your approval / feedback on the poem by email. I will make any tweaks that are necessary to create a poem that truly reflects your dog until we are both happy with the poem and illustration.
- I will need your approval by email, to go ahead with the final pen & ink drawing.
- I will draw and hand letter the portrait in pen and ink. As each portrait is a bespoke illustration from scratch, no further changes are possible after your approval has been given without incurring further cost.
- Your bespoke Hounds in Verse poetic portrait will be sent to you via courier/registered mail to UK addresses and via International Tracked and Signed mail to addresses outside the UK.
How do you know what to say about my dog?
I will email you a questionnaire, within 1-2 days of receiving your order. The purpose of the questionnaire is to find out as much information as I can about your dog so I can create the most original and personal poem.
The questionnaire can be used to trigger thoughts and ideas about what you might like to be included in the poem. You don’t have to answer all the questions but I’ll need lots of detail - not just facts (e.g. he likes to chase cats) but also detailed descriptions and anecdotes about his behaviour (e.g. is it just the neighbours cat? does the cat tease your dog? what does your dog do when he sees the cat, how does the neighbour react? what do you do/feel when he chases the cat? etc). For the best results, I suggest you take your time and think about what you might like to include over a couple of days.
Once I have received your notes in response to the questionnaire, I will start to craft the poem. You will see a draft of the poem in 7-14 days. During this time I may contact you for further details or clarification of any of the information you have provided about your dog.
Can I ask for changes?
Yes of course. You will have the chance to request changes when you see the first draft of your poem and illustration of your dog, 7-14 days after I receive the answers to your questionnaire. Typically, there are only minor tweaks because, in composing the poem, I stay true to the information you have given me in response to the questions. I will work hard to make sure we have a poem that we both love and truly reflects the unique personality of your dog.
Once you have given me final approval by email for both the poem and illustration and I have started to draw the portrait, there can be no further changes, as each portrait is drawn individually, by hand, in pen and ink.
What style of poem do you write?
Each poem is written in rhyming couplets and is a whimsical, perceptive and heartfelt portrait of your dog and a truly unique expression of your relationship with them. It is an amusing, anecdotal celebration of your life together, that will make you smile, warm your heart and will be treasured for a lifetime.
Just like humans, dogs have their own quirky personalities and each poem will paint an endearing, touching and often humorous picture of your dog’s character and their special bond with you.
What will you need to draw my dog?
I will need a high resolution photograph of your dog’s head - either a full face shot or side profile (or something inbetween) - that clearly shows your dog’s eye(s) and features, in a pose that you would like to have on the finished illustration.
How long is the poem?
Each poem is a minimum of 20 lines and a maximum of 28 lines long.
What size is the paper and frame?
The size of the paper is: 18 x 40 cm (7” x 15.5”)
The size of the frame is: 28 x 50 cm (11” x 19.5”)
How quickly can you create my portrait?
The entire process from start to finish usually takes 3-4 weeks.
It will usually take around 2 weeks to craft a truly personal poem upon receipt of your answers to the questionnaire. It may be possible to reduce this time, if the poem is needed for a specific date. If you’ve left it a bit late and need it quicker, I will do everything I can to help, but please email or call me to discuss if this is the case, prior to placing your order.
Please allow a further week from approval of the poem to create a hand lettered pen & ink illustration, framed or unframed.
How will my portrait be delivered?
UK Addresses: Framed and unframed portraits will be delivered via courier.
Deliveries outside the UK: Will be shipped by International Tracked and Signed Airmail. Please note: It is not possible to send framed work outside the UK due to the high cost and risk of breakage.
Who will see the infomation I provide and the finished portrait?
The information you provide in response to the questionnaire will only be seen by me and will not be shared with anyone, ever. I may ask your permission to share your poem, or any part of your poem, on my website or social media as an example of my work, but if you prefer that I do not share your poem then, of course, I will not do so.
What about copyright?
Each poem I create is copyrighted by Debbie Kendall, however you are free to use and reproduce your poem for your own personal use. Any poem created for corporate clients, or for commercial use, may require royalties and this must be requested and discussed before I create the poem.
How much will my bespoke portrait cost?
Unframed original, hand-lettered and illustrated poetic portrait in pen & ink on Japanese Hosho paper: £150.
Framed original, hand lettered and illustrated poetic portrait in pen & ink on Japanese Hosho paper, float mounted in a hand-made reclaimed, rustic wood frame (ready to hang): £190